Our occupational therapy practice was born out of our desire to provide a fun and interactive service that supports children reach their full potential. Each child is unique and we strongly believe that by highlighting their strengths in therapy we are able to motivate and equip them with the skills needed to thrive emotionally, socially, physically and academically.
Director/Principal Occupational Therapist
Sabina is an AHPRA registered Occupational Therapist who is passionate about working with children and their families. She has a strong interest in helping children become confident individuals so that they can take on and adapt to new challenges in a seamless and enthusiastic manner. “The best part of my profession is seeing that little sparkle and joy when a child achieves a new goals or masters a new skill.”
Sabina has completed her Bachelor of Occupational Therapy degree in New Zealand and is a member of OT Australia. She is fully committed to her professional development, her training including: “Working with Children with Autism” by Occupational Therapy Australia, “The Traffic Jam in My Brain: A Sensory Processing Approach to Challenges Associated with Autism, ADHD, Learning and Behavioural Differences” by Genevieve Jereb/Sensory Tools, “Developing and Implementing Effective Sensory Diets for Children and Tees” by Sensational Brain. She has worked in a number of different clinical settings and while in Australia, Sabina has assisted and supported children academically and socially in school settings.
In her spare time, Sabina is a mother of two busy boys, and enjoys taking long walks with her labrador “Yugi”.
SENIOR OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST
Nikki is an AHPRA registered Occupational Therapist and completed her studies in Western Australia before moving to Victoria in 2017. Nikki has worked in a private practice in Western Australia, working with families at school and in their home. Here in Victoria she has worked in a specialist development school as an Occupational Therapist.
Nikki is passionate about working with children and their families, supporting them to engage and participate in their meaningful occupations. She is enthusiastic about supporting children to access education and loves to help them achieve their educational goals. Nikki sees the need for a holistic approach in her therapy and the need to support the whole family, not just her clients.
Nikki is passionate about her professional development, her training including: “The Traffic Jam in My Brain: A Sensory Approach to Challenges Associated with Autism, ADHD, Learning and Behavioural Differences” by Genevieve Jerab – Sensory Tools, “The Zones of Regulation” by Leah M. Kuypers, “Handwriting Without Tears” by Jan Olsen, Auslan – Level 1 Certificate by Vic Deaf.
In her spare time, Nikki loves to go to the gym on a regular basis and enjoys spending quality time with her friends and family.
Assessment and therapy sessions focusing on the child's needs provided in our clinic, at home, childcare or school.
Assessment and therapy focusing on supporting your child to acquire and consolidate the necessary skills for a smooth transition into the school environment.
Assessment and therapy addressing handwriting and based on the "Handwriting without Tears" framework. Individual or small group (max two children) sessions at clinic or home.
Assessment and therapy sessions focusing on supporting your child within the school environment, classroom strategies, parent and teacher workshops.
Most frequent questions and answers
Occupational Therapy is a health profession whose main concern is to enable the individual to be able to participate in activities of daily living (ADLs).
Paediatric OT focuses on a child’s “occupations” – play, education, self-care and social skills.
Occupational therapy treatment encompasses several areas of performance. All treatment plans and therapy goals are created and implemented based on the child’s individual needs.
- Fine Motor Skills: Addressing movement and dexterity of the small muscles in the hands and fingers.
- Gross Motor Skills: Addressing movement of the large muscles in the arms, legs and trunk.
- Visual Motor Skills: Referring to a child’s movement based on the perception of visual information.
- Oral Motor Skills: Addressing movement of muscles in the mouth, lips, tongue and jaw, including sucking, biting, crunching, chewing and licking.
- Self-Care Skills: Addressing activities of daily living such as dressing, feeding, toileting activities, etc.
- Sensory Integration: Addressing the ability to adequately process and respond to sensory information (sensory input (take in), process (sort out) and output (respond).
- Motor Planning Skills: Addressing the ability to plan, execute and sequence motor tasks.
- If you feel that your child would benefit from Occupational Therapy you can:
- Contact us via phone, email or by filling in our contact form . We can discuss your concerns over the phone with no obligations and set up further bookings should this be the desired outcome.
- To access our services your child does not require a medical diagnosis or a health professional referral.
- Depending on individual circumstances, children may be eligible for a care plan from their GP (eg. Chronic Disease Management Plan) which will entitle you to claim a Medicare rebate for a number of occupational therapy sessions. The current Medicare Benefit Rebate is $52.95.
- Children diagnosed with autism or pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) may be eligible to claim a Medicare rebate for up to four (4) assessment services, and up to 20 early intervention treatment services in total per child. This plan requires a referral to occupational therapy from your child’s Paediatrician. The current Medicare Benefit rebate is $74.80.
- EQUIPKIDS is a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provider. We are able to accept self-manged, plan-managed and NDIA managed participants. Please contact us for more information. If you would like more information about the National Disability Scheme please visit the NDIS website at http://www.ndis.gov.au/families-carers.
send us a message
Contact us and we will happily respond